Johannesburg — South Africa’s football association is planning a bid to host the 2027 Women’s World Cup, its top executive said Tuesday.
“We welcomed the world to South Africa when we hosted the men’s Fifa World Cup 12 years ago, and we would like to be given an opportunity to roll out the red carpet again in 2027 during the women’s tournament,” said Safa CEO Tebogo Motlanthe told AFP.
The decision to bid was made at the South Africa Football Association (SAFA) weekend executive council meeting.
South Africa hosted the 2010 Fifa men’s World Cup, becoming the first and only African country to have hosted the prestigious competition.
But Mzansi faces stiff competition from other bidders such as Netherlands, Belgium and Germany who have already launched a shared bid for the 2027 tournament.
The US has indicated a desire to bid for 2027 or 2031 contest.
South Africa had been in running for 2023 clash, but pulled out.
In 2010 SA hosted the 64 matches during the month-long tournament in 10 stadiums, five were built from scratch, and five received upgrades.